Dipa Karmakar has created history by becoming the first Indian female gymnast to qualify for the Olympics. Karmakar is also the first Indian gymnast from the north-eastern state of Tripura, one of the few regions in India where the sport has an avid following.
Here are 5 things you must know about her.
- 1. Dipa Karmakar.. her journey started from Tripura
- 2. She is the first Indian woman gymnast for..
- 3. List of her medals is now 77.. and counting
- 4. Her one and only coach Bisbeshwar Nandi
- 5. She has been praised by Sachin
- Watch: Dipa Karmakar Talks About How She Mastered World’s Most Difficult Gymnastic Stunt
1. Dipa Karmakar.. her journey started from Tripura
Dipa Karmakar hails from Tripura and started practising gymnastics at the age of six. Her father, Dulal Karmakar is a weightlifting coach who served half a decade in the Andaman Islands training athletes.
2. She is the first Indian woman gymnast for..
In 2014, Karmakar had become the first Indian woman gymnast to win a Commonwealth Games gymnastics medal, when she got a bronze at the vault event in Glasgow in 2014. She was also the first Indian woman gymnast to compete in the finals of the World Championships in Nov. 2015.
3. List of her medals is now 77.. and counting
As a 14-year-old, she won the Junior Nationals that were held in Jalpaiguri. Since 2007, Dipa has won 77 medals including 67 gold, in state, national and international championships.
4. Her one and only coach Bisbeshwar Nandi
Dipa Karmakar has had only one coach since she took up the sport – veteran Bisbeshwar Nandi.
5. She has been praised by Sachin
After her Commonwealth Games win, cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar famously lauded her achievement in a speech. With her Olympics qualification, Karmakar has shown that she is a trailblazer in more ways than one.
and SRK too