Have you ever wondered how long an eyelash perm lasts? An eyelash perm is a popular beauty treatment that involves curling and lifting the lashes to create a more defined and voluminous look.
This treatment can last for weeks, but the exact duration can vary depending on several factors.
In this article, we will explore the ins and outs of eyelash perms, including how long they last, how to care for them, and much more.
- 1 What is an eyelash perm?
- 2 How long does an eyelash perm last?
- 3 Factors that affect the longevity of an eyelash perm
- 4 How to care for an eyelash perm
- 5 Can you wear mascara with an eyelash perm?
- 6 Can you swim or shower with an eyelash perm?
- 7 How to remove an eyelash perm
- 8 Is an eyelash perm safe?
- 9 How much does an eyelash perm cost?
- 10 Pros and cons of getting an eyelash perm
- 11 Pros:
- 12 Cons:
- 13 How to prepare for an eyelash perm appointment
- 14 Before your eyelash perm appointment, there are a few things you should do to prepare:
- 15 What to expect during an eyelash perm appointment
- 16 During your eyelash perm appointment, you can expect the following:
- 17 The entire process usually takes around 45 minutes to an hour.
- 18 Alternatives to eyelash perms
- 19 If you’re looking for an alternative to eyelash perms, there are several options to consider, including:
- 20 of mascara available, including volumizing, lengthening, and waterproof options.
- 21 Conclusion
- 22 FAQs
What is an eyelash perm?
An eyelash perm is a cosmetic treatment that involves curling and lifting the lashes to enhance their natural shape and volume. The process is similar to getting a perm for your hair, but it’s much gentler and less damaging. During an eyelash perm, a technician will apply a special solution to your lashes, which will soften and curl them.
The lashes are then wrapped around a small rod and left to set for several minutes. Once the solution has fully processed, the lashes will be lifted and separated to create a beautiful, natural-looking curl.
How long does an eyelash perm last?
On average, an eyelash perm can last anywhere from four to six weeks. However, the exact duration can vary depending on several factors, such as the type of solution used, the thickness of your lashes, and your aftercare routine. Some people may find that their eyelash perm lasts longer or shorter than the average timeframe.
Factors that affect the longevity of an eyelash perm
Several factors can affect the longevity of an eyelash perm, including:
- The type of solution used: Some solutions are stronger than others and can create a more dramatic curl that lasts longer.
- The thickness and length of your lashes: Thicker and longer lashes may hold the curl better than thinner, shorter lashes.
- Your aftercare routine: Proper aftercare is essential for maintaining the longevity of your eyelash perm. Not removing eye makeup properly or using oil-based products around the eye area can cause the perm to loosen and fall out more quickly.
How to care for an eyelash perm
To ensure your eyelash perm lasts as long as possible, it’s essential to take good care of your lashes. Here are some tips to help you maintain your perm:
- Avoid getting your lashes wet for the first 24 hours after the treatment.
- Don’t rub or pull on your lashes.
- Avoid using oil-based eye makeup or makeup removers.
- Use a lash serum or conditioner to keep your lashes healthy and strong.
- Be gentle when cleansing your face and avoid getting cleanser on your lashes.
- Don’t use a lash curler on your perm.
Can you wear mascara with an eyelash perm?
Yes, you can wear mascara with an eyelash perm, but it’s recommended to use a water-based mascara. Avoid using waterproof mascara, as it can be difficult to remove and may cause your perm to fall out more quickly. Also, be gentle when applying and removing your mascara to avoid pulling on your lashes.
Can you swim or shower with an eyelash perm?
It’s best to avoid getting your eyelash perm wet for the first 24 hours after the treatment. After that, you can swim and shower as usual, but it’s recommended to avoid exposing your lashes to excessive water and steam. If your lashes do get wet, gently pat them dry with a towel and avoid rubbing or pulling on them.
How to remove an eyelash perm
If you’re unhappy with your eyelash perm or want to remove it for any reason, you can do so using a perm remover solution. This solution breaks down the chemical bonds in the perm solution, allowing the curls to be straightened out. However, it’s essential to follow the instructions carefully and avoid getting the solution in your eyes.
Is an eyelash perm safe?
Eyelash perms are generally safe when performed by a licensed and experienced technician. However, as with any cosmetic treatment, there are some risks involved. Some people may experience irritation or allergic reactions to the perm solution, and improper application or aftercare can cause damage to the lashes. It’s essential to do your research and choose a reputable salon and technician for your eyelash perm.
How much does an eyelash perm cost?
The cost of an eyelash perm can vary depending on your location, the salon you choose, and other factors. On average, you can expect to pay between $50 and $100 for an eyelash perm.
Pros and cons of getting an eyelash perm
Like any beauty treatment, there are pros and cons to getting an eyelash perm. Here are some of the main advantages and disadvantages:
- Creates a natural-looking curl that enhances your lashes
- Can last for several weeks, reducing the need for daily curling
- Low maintenance and easy to care for
- Can be a good option for people with straight or downward-facing lashes
- Can be costly, especially if you need to get touch-ups frequently
- Can cause damage to the lashes if not applied or cared for properly
- Not suitable for people with very short or sparse lashes
- Some people may experience irritation or allergic reactions to the perm solution
How to prepare for an eyelash perm appointment
Before your eyelash perm appointment, there are a few things you should do to prepare:
- Remove all eye makeup and avoid wearing contact lenses to your appointment.
- Avoid using oil-based products around your eyes for at least 24 hours before the treatment.
- Arrive at the salon with clean, dry lashes.
What to expect during an eyelash perm appointment
During your eyelash perm appointment, you can expect the following:
- Your technician will cleanse your lashes and apply a protective pad to your lower lash line.
- They will then apply the perm solution to your lashes and wrap them around a small rod.
- The solution will be left to process for several minutes, and then a neutralizer will be applied.
- Finally, your lashes will be separated and lifted to create a natural-looking curl.
The entire process usually takes around 45 minutes to an hour.
Alternatives to eyelash perms
If you’re looking for an alternative to eyelash perms, there are several options to consider, including:
- Lash extensions: Lash extensions involve attaching individual lashes to your natural lashes, creating a fuller and longer look. Extensions can last for several weeks and require minimal maintenance.
- Lash lift: A lash lift is similar to an eyelash perm but uses a different technique to lift and curl the lashes. The process involves using a lifting solution to curl the lashes, creating a more natural-looking result than a perm.
- Mascara: Mascara is a quick and easy way to enhance your lashes without any long-term commitment. There are many different types
of mascara available, including volumizing, lengthening, and waterproof options.
If you’re looking to enhance the natural curl of your lashes, an eyelash perm could be a good option for you. It’s a relatively low-maintenance treatment that can last for several weeks, reducing the need for daily curling. However, it’s essential to choose a reputable salon and technician and follow proper aftercare instructions to avoid damaging your lashes.
If you decide to get an eyelash perm, be sure to do your research and prepare properly for your appointment. And if you’re not sure if an eyelash perm is right for you, consider alternative options such as lash extensions, a lash lift, or mascara.
Can I wear mascara with an eyelash perm?
Yes, you can wear mascara with an eyelash perm, but it’s recommended to use a water-based formula and avoid waterproof mascara.
How long does an eyelash perm take to set?
It typically takes around 24 hours for the perm solution to fully set and for your lashes to settle into their new shape.
Can I still curl my lashes after an eyelash perm?
It’s generally not necessary to curl your lashes after getting an eyelash perm, but if you feel the need to, you can use a gentle eyelash curler.
How often do I need to get an eyelash perm?
The duration of an eyelash perm can vary depending on your lashes’ natural growth cycle and how well you care for them. On average, an eyelash perm can last for 6-8 weeks, after which you may need to get a touch-up.
Can I get an eyelash perm if I have sensitive eyes?
If you have sensitive eyes, it’s essential to discuss the treatment with your technician beforehand and ensure they use a mild, low-irritation perm solution. It’s also a good idea to do a patch test before the treatment to check for any allergic reactions.